Stanza 23


23

However, something new has factored in.
The recent transfer of American
Marines into the base is now complete.
Their wells are modern and ours can't compete
With their superior technology.
While I don't know how deep their wells may be
The evidence reveals the certain fact
That every day the water they extract
Compels our pumps to work in nighttime hours,
And then they just approximate the powers
They used to have throughout the driest time.
However, in the day I cannot prime
Them and I think that they might fail
Within a week, unless the soldiers scale
Their usage down to half their current rate.
Now since this problem I articulate
Can't be resolved within my humble means,
Last night I told the mayor how the marines
Will ruin us, but he won't talk to them.
He says this is their hostile stratagem"