Stanza 84


84

The mayor quickly signals to his friend
To let him know the mullah should attend,
And soon the local cleric stands beside
The magistrate, preparing to deride
The colonel for his recent hostile act.
However, he now hears the man retract
His actions with a full apology.
The colonel stated, "You are mad at me,
And you have every right to feel this way.
My men believed your son was hostile. They
Were wrong. When they discovered the mistake,
Their melancholy hearts were set to break.
I am responsible for his demise
And now the heavy sadness multiplies
Beyond belief. I wish I could revive
Your son and bring him back to you alive,
But I can only give his corpse to you.
I hope sincerely that you will review
The situation and decide to live
In peace with us, and that you will forgive."