Stanza 45


45

So Musa leaves to fetch the men who stayed
Within the mosque to guard the gifts conveyed
By all the villagers who wish to be
The loyal patrons of the Askari.
As Musa exits, Ibrahim declares,
"I must be going to effect repairs
Upon the pumps that serve the northern well."
The local cleric says, "Please don't compel
Our house to suffer such an awful shame
By leaving us without sufficient claim
That we have met the needs of every guest."
The engineer replies, "Your interest
In my well-being fills me with delight.
I mean no disrespect and if I might,
I will return some other time to eat
With you when my objective is complete.
Right now, I know that I have stayed too long
And I have great concern that something wrong
Could still occur if I procrastinate."
So Ibrahim concludes the short debate.